Reference books and tools
For editing I use various references on style, usage, spelling, and vocabulary. Style encompasses rules of grammar, conventions in formatting, and the precise expression of meaning. I treat the books as guides and break the rules on occasion if there is a good reason. Many clients have produced a house style guide that takes precedence over any of the reference books in the following list.
Style and Usage Guides
- The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th and 16th eds.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th ed. ("APA style")
- The Associated Press Stylebook ("AP style")
- Falcon Style Guide
- Garner's Modern American Usage
- Fowler, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
- Strunk & White, The Elements of Style
- Ortografía de la lengua española
- Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Ed.
- Duden's Deutsches Universal Wörterbuch A-Z (German)
- Klett's Modern German and English Dictionary
- Oxford Spanish Dictionary: Spanish-English, Inglés-Español
- Diccionario Porrúa de la Lengua Española (Spanish)
- Larousse Grand Dictionnaire Français-Anglais Anglais-Français (French, 2 volumes)
- Mondadori's Pocket Italian-English English-Italian Dictionary
- Harper Collins Portuguese Concise Dictionary
Software and Hardware
- Microsoft Word
- Color Officejet Printer/Scanner/Fax
- Digital camera
Back to my home page.
Revised 11 June 2012