NE 201st Place (206)
Lake Forest Park, WA 98155
Adept at understanding what an author wants to express and helping to convey it more idiomatically and precisely. Twenty years providing editorial services to book publishers and individual scholars. Three years experience writing and editing software user manuals and tutorials. Developed and maintain my professional website and the book companion site YellowstoneTreasures.com. Have taught writing and editing.
Highlights of Editorial Services
· Copyedited and proofread college textbooks in drama, education, German, history, Spanish, and writing for major publishers via MPS North America, using Chicago, APA, MLA, and house styles.
· Edited and managed print production for the 2002, 2005, 2009, and 2013 editions of the Granite Peak Publications guidebook Yellowstone Treasures.
· Copyedited, proofread, and indexed art books in English and Spanish for the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Artist and Publisher Services, Cisneros Foundation, Costco Wholesale, Marquand Books, the Rennie Collection, and Seattle Art Museum.
· Edited journal articles, dissertations, and book chapters in English for both native and nonnative speakers of English, using Chicago, Harvard, and MLA styles.
Technical Writing and User Interface Development:
· Converted files from WordPerfect to Microsoft Word, tested and corrected the documents for a law firm’s document assembly system. Wrote the reference manual and brochures.
· Managed the documentation and wrote tutorials for Language Engineering Corporation's English-to-Japanese machine translation software.Supervised the work of staff and consultants.
Editorial Freelancer 1990–95;
Web Designer / Webmaster 1999–present
Basic Copyediting Instructor, Antioch University Continuing Ed., Seattle 2006, 2007, 2008
Proofreading & Copyediting Team Teacher, Discover U, Seattle 2002–2007
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Technical Communication, Univ. of Wash., Seattle 1997–98
Software Editor, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, Boston 1995–96
Technical Writer / Editor, Language Engineering Corp., Belmont, MA 1991–92
Legal Proofreader, Commerce Clearing House, Inc., San Rafael, CA 1989–90
M.S. Technical Communication, March 1999. University of Washington,
B.A. German Studies, January 1988. Stanford University. Specialized in language/linguistics.
HONORS & ASSOCIATIONS
Member, Association of Art Editors, Northwest Independent Editors Guild
Board member, Northwest Independent Editors Guild, 2005–2012
Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE), Instituto Cervantes, 2008
Brown University Book Award for superior English expression, 1981